In a low-carb obsessed world they’ve gotten a bad rap, but seriously, they are just yummy. Little known fact about me; I was born in Montreal and moved to Calgary when I was 5. Although I lived the next 30 years in Calgary, I am still particular about bagels because I never got over those that came from a certain shop on a certain street in Outremont…
However, I do love all bagels and now I am happy to take part in this sponsored post as a celebration of National Bagel Day.
According to Dempster’s® Bagel Barometer, six out of 10 Canadians eat bagels on a regular basis with nearly a quarter eating these circular delicacies daily or several times a week. To celebrate National Bagel Day 2012 Dempster’s has launched a new bagel recipe and partnered with well-known chef and bagel fan Bob Blumer to uncover Canada’s most passionate bagel-lovers and find out what an ultimate Canadian bagel’s defining qualities are. You may be surprised by the answers.
The Dempster’s Bagel Barometer also revealed personality differences between Canadian bagel lovers, with nearly six out of 10 falling into “The Craver” category. Whether it’s a hankering for a bagel’s crunchy soft texture, to try something different or to satisfy hunger, the Craver chooses bagels to tantalize their taste buds – so it has to be just right. And that’s not all! One-quarter of us are “Energizers” who to start our day with a bagel fuel up; the remaining are in one of two camps: “Connoisseurs”, who take the time to create delicious new ways to enjoy their bagels, and “Purists” who eat bagels the same way every time.
The good news is Dempster’s has created their new recipe with Canadian taste buds in mind. Baked fresh daily in Canada and now available in grocery stores nationally, these bagels start with premium, quality ingredients and natural flavours such as 100 per cent Canadian wheat and real fruit and spices. And for those seeking variety, Dempster’s has a bagel for everyone with seven tasty flavours including: Plain, Sesame, 100% Whole Wheat, 12 Grain (My favourite!), Everything, Cinnamon Raisin and Blueberry. The result is a bagel perfect for toasting that’s crispy on the outside, yet stays soft and fluffy on the inside!
If you want to see all of Bob Blumer’s recipes for Dempster’s bagel, you can check them out here. I’m old school so my favourite is the Smokin’ Salmon and I’ve included the recipe below!
Cream cheese and lox (cold-smoked salmon) go together like Justin Bieber and blow dryers. Here’s a quick and easy spread that’s guaranteed to be a hit.
• 1 Dempster’s everything bagel
• 8 ounces Cream cheese
• ¼ cup fresh dill, stems removed
• 2 green onions, trimmed and coarsely chopped
• zest of one lemon
• 2 tablespoons capers, drained
• ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 4 ounces smoked salmon, roughly chopped
• In a food processor, add cream cheese, dill, green onions, zest, capers, and pepper. Pulse several times until ingredients are well incorporated, but not pulverized.
• Add salmon and pulse several more times until salmon is well distributed in spread. If you do not have a food processor, mince dill, green onions, capers and salmon, then use a fork to blend with cream cheese.
• To serve: Toast and lightly butter bagel. Top with smokin’ salmon spread.
• Remaining spread will last in the fridge for 5 days in a tightly sealed container
• Yield: 1 serving + enough schmear for 3 additional servings
National Bagel Day Giveaway by Dempsters:
With nearly seven out of 10 Canadians eating bagels on a regular basis (that’s millions of the round delicacies every month!) – it’s no surprise they are definitely a national favourite. On February 9th, officially known as National Bagel Day, Dempster’s is providing a bagel inspired prize pack. Valued at $150, the National Bagel Day giveaway is filled with everything you need to make the perfect bagel, including:
- Classic KitchenAid toaster – giving you a bagel toasted to perfection in less than five minutes
- Bamboo cutting board – an ecofriendly option that can double as a serving platter
- Bob Blumer cookbook – for fun and interesting recipe ideas
- Dempster’s Bagels coupons – can be used for a wide variety of bagels including Sesame, Plain, Whole Wheat, Everything, Cinnamon Raison and Blueberry
How can you enter to win this great prize? Visit UrbanMoms.com and share what you like on your bagel!